Wednesday 24 May 2017

24/05/17

Wow, time really flies and all that!

I wanted to address a couple of things I've been thinking about in regard to the game, just so as I've gotten them out there; it may be evident by now but I'm not all that good at sharing the info regarding development as I really should be!

As work has trundled along and I've been speaking to some of my friends regarding the game, it occurred to me that I haven't really given out any story or context within the game, and that's something people might quite like to know; as such I've been writing out some little narrative bits and putting what I have in my head to paper (or word document, whichever). I'll be putting these up in a new section of this site once they're done to give everyone a taste of what I see the narrative being, so keep an eye out for that.

This also led to a discussion about the nature of what I'm creating, and whether I was really taking into account the fact that, at the end of the day, the game I'm creating isn't really going to be appreciated for it's plot or setting primarily; my view has always been that it's better to have for the sake of immersion either way, but this does run the risk of alienating one side of the audience to cater for the other, no matter which decision I make.

So my solution for now is this: I'll actually be making two separate versions of the game, one including all of the adult features that I know people are looking forward to and one simply containing the story and non-adult gameplay for those who would just like to see a furry platformer.

Now this does NOT mean that I'll be devoting more time and attention to one than the other, and as far as my intentions for coding and content go there's no real change in what will be done other than the 'grapple moves' initiated by enemies will be health-damaging ones rather than smutty ones.

The narrative and reasoning I've set up for this thing occuring to the player character can actually support both these versions quite well, I believe anyway, and I think with this direction in mind I can assure people that the focus I've always had for the game - namely to make it a fun, tight, interesting platformer - isn't going to be marred in anyone's eyes by the inclusion of sex and adult stuff.

I understand that some people may be put off even by the idea that an adult version exists, but I suppose I'm not going to be able to cater for them in the first place. I've found something I really want to do in my life now in making video games independently, and I can promise this isn't any sort of altering of quality or intent for the game, or indeed and kind of scaling back of the adult features I intend to add. This is intended as more of an assurance to everyone that my focus here is on making a good, fun game that can be enjoyed on its' own merit as well as having the option to enjoy some good adult fun in the same environment, if that's your thing.

Thanks a lot for reading, this decision has given me some great ideas to implement further down the line, but for now work continues steadily toward the first playable version of the game!

No comments:

Post a Comment